Saturday 27 August 2011

16 Tables ???????

Stuck record I know, swinging back and forth between 'deffo cant 16 table me, not my forte' and 'oh ok one more try'.

I kinda feel like I don't have an option right now. This has been a slow month 6 tabling 200nl. My roll isn't big enough to play any higher. I'm up $1k or something with minimal rakeback etc. I need something to change to get back my hunger and motivation. I'm pretty poor in real life and need to earn some money so I can take that money and then earn more money. My medium term goal is still to get to 600nl-1000nl asap and 4 or 6 table.

My physical health has gotten better in terms of my poker concentration, thanks in a big way to changes in my diet, and then the discovery of the wonder vitamin B12........ B12 is something only found in meat, and being vegetarian I obviously lack it. It's super important for converting food into energy and concentration, and in just a few days of overdosing on it I feel much better.

Part of the reasons I've been unable to 12-16 table is my concentration, so hopefully this helps eradicate that barrier. I need to look at other obstacles and help overcome them.

Lack of defaults in a lot of spots - a big part of my problem mass tabling is that I try to play the same way I do 4 tabling. That is, I have to think about every decision. Whether to cbet a basic board OOP for example, or maybe this is a good time to slowplay AA PF. I have to develop low variance, non-marginal defaults in a lot of spots that are easily adjusted based on villain tendencies. Give up AT7ss with no equity CO-BTN for example, except when villain is risk averse and I can barrel off.

Inability to eradicate marginal spots - in so many marginal spots 4 tabling I take the high variance route. Say flat ATs to a tightish 3bettor BB-BTN for example. When mass tabling, I need an alarm in my head screaming 'MARGINAL' and to duck the spot. Marginal PF decisions lead to marginal flop turn and river decisions, all of which have to be dealt with by a much thinner 'bandwidth' of my brainpower. This should naturally lead to a tightening up of my PF stats. No need to flat 86s OTB to a UTG+1 raise 100bbs deep for example.

Concentration - I talk about this above, but this is something I'm going to have to constantly re-assess and focus on.

Subtle Tilt - It is WAY easier to tilt off when 16 tabling than it is 4 tabling. Reason being that my tilt obviously doesn't come in the form of open shoving or anything extreme like that, rather in those spots that are slightly -EV but higher variance I take the higher variance -EV route. One thing that I've found works in the past is to consciously 'reverse tilt' each and every time something annoying happens. Lose AA pf to 33, then I hit my 'reverse tilt' timer on my desktop that lasts 5 minutes. During this time the test for whether a marginal spot is +EV gets much more brutal. So ATo OTB to a 14% bb bettor gets FOLDED. Again this is just something I'll have to grade myself on.

100bbs - As we approach 200bbs I think the level of thought needed for each decision on each street increases massively. Do it right, 4 tabling, and you'll make more money. Do it badly, ie when 12 tabling, and you will lose an absolute ton. Thus, I need to avoid playing deep, and unless the spot is amazing leave the tables when I double up.

Reg Reads - I still of course think that making adjustments to players is super paramount. When 6-4 tabling I can get these reads in realtime and think properly about the adjustments. I'm going to have to spend some time after/before each session going through the hands of the previous session and making notes. Then, I need to have some default adjustments to common traits; risk averse, over aggro, PF 3betting tendencies etc.

I think the most important of the above is to fold the marginal spots very early. PF, with 3 regs behind, I just don't have to open 86s in the co. I just don't have to. Stars has a dealt rakeback method I believe, so if I get into the habit of being generally tighter PF and less marginal post, then I could quad up the amount of rakeback, quad up the amount of hands played, and only marginally affect the amount of brainpower I'm able to give to each decision.

Plan is to start off playing 1 hour at a time, and if successful to extend the length of the sessions.

I'll do a session review afterwards based on the following goals:

  • Eradicate marginal spots
  • Concentration
  • Tilt management through reverse tilt

dan

No comments: