Wednesday 17 August 2011

Reset Of Sorts Needed




I've entered into a sort of poker malaise. As you can see my year isn't horrendous by any means, (although I've done much worse at 400nl than 200nl and so the recent downswing is sharper), but I've lost the impetus I had in the 3 months immediately after black friday.

I guess I'm currently coasting along, waiting for variance to reward me again, but not making any true effort to encourage it to do so. Sure, I put in hands whenever I can, but as I've said before that's the easy bit. The hard bit is to do stuff that doesn't come naturally, the stuff that can be a little tiresome and inconvenient, the stuff important for ME to do well.

I think I get pretty hung up on the 16 tablers. Especially the ones like Bruut who grind out 1.3ptbb winrates....... and make $600k a year. Maybe the day will come, when I have the bankroll and the financial room to experiment, where I too am this kind of beast. Right now massive flaws in my ability to execute strategy, apply theory, stay concentrated and stay tilt free prevent me from doing so.

So 6 tabling is my forte. God knows how many times I've written that sentence....... but still I find myself adding the odd little extra table where there's a fish, then 3 sessions later I'm again giving the full blown 20 tabling thing a shot, without any alterations to my strategy and without any reason why it would be different this time.

My problem is that 6 tabling 200nl, even with the winrate I think I'm capable of, doesn't make a stellar amount of money. I need to move up stakes, and have a clear plan to get to 1000nl+ asap. I think my 4 tabling game especially, where I am able to pay sick attention to detail is very good. I can see myself doing very well there, given a lot of similar regs play there.

But that's a pipedream so long as I'm winning meagre amounts of money, and withdrawing it. I've started to make a ton of leggo vids*, the plan is to live off this income and leave all the poker roll intact, the way all the 20 year olds in this world are able to do while living at home.

*note on leggo vids, I'm trying not to do any 'fillers', but rather ones that are a little innovative. I've a sb betting one coming out, a dual HU one with bobbo........ I'd like to do a leakfinder too but with the guy who's playing also commentating so it comes out like a coaching session. If anyone has any other ideas please shout me.

I also need to review sessions prior to the next session to get reads on regs and make myself able to infer stuff in gametime. I could also do with writing about poker a fair bit more, especially on the technical side. I need to do more session reviews basically.

Right, so I'm back on this whole skill of poker thing. He's the skill of poker as it applies to me.




It's my job to apply said skill. Barely any of it is about having technical poker knowledge. The word 'poker' to me from here on out comprises the above. I think my technical knowledge is really good, but if someone asks me if I'm any good at poker, I'll refer to this pie chart, evaluate my recent play, and give an honest answer. Getting good and staying good is hard but I think through experiencing a small amount of pain I can get there and stay there............

No comments: