Monday 3 October 2011

20k Hand Review




So, essentially breakeven after 20k hands. Frustrating, because it's 20k hands of more or less my A game, surrounded by fish, and without any sense of having run bad. Immediate leaks that spring to mind looking at the stats are playing pretty loose from UTG, and playing too little and winning too little from the CO. I'm going to up my CO unopened raise a ton, up to like 35%, but resist the urge to lower my UTG vpip. Partly because this sample suggests I'm doing ok, and party because I don't think it's being expoited and I think I'm picking decent spots.......

In terms of other postflop stuff, I feel like I could cbet flop a decent amount more as a default. 59% should probably be more like 69%. I'm also starting to have a mammoth dislike of checking turns IP in general. It means you can't value bet the river (faceup hand, could be CR bluffed easily, bad for balancing bluffs) and bluffs also have less credibility and less power. Much easier to peel the river with 2nd pair ending the action than it is facing a decent sized turn bet with the implied threat of having the river shoved down their necks too.

I've always had this problem with being more aggressive IP than OOP, as I've felt that people simply have weaker ranges IP than they do OOP. What I'm realising now though is that OOP, people are simply really unbalanced with stronger hands. IP they get flatted a lot, OOP nearly always CRd. This leaves a lot of crazily weak turn and river ranges when people have flatted OOP.

Moral of the above story is that for the next 20k hands or so I'm going to become a bit of an animal IP and see how it goes. I have a strong feeling that on say J62 T, 99 finds a fold from most regs. This seems a little obvious reading it back. A better example is JT on QT6. On a 6 turn, it's getting folded I reckon. If not, it's getting folded on the river along with a bunch of Qs. So yeah, I'll go to town IP and if I see any proper out of line call downs I'll take a note and re-adjust.

In a general sense, I need to remember to manipulate people using betsizing a lot more. Weaker betsizing on earlier streets leaves weaker ranges later on that can't stand big turn barrels.

Finishing on a postive note, flatting wider is almost working.  I had a really bad start as I've said, but filtering for all the hands I wouldn't previously have flatted, I'm down $1300. 185 instances, so would've lost $1100 had I folded, so actually down $200. I'm very confident this will turn around though in the next 20k hands or so.

Ok in summary !

Be an animal IP.
Avoid RE like the plague.
Raise CO more.
More attention to detail, betsizing etc ...........

Dan

No comments: