Thursday 29 December 2011

2011 .......... 2012

Haven't played much at all over xMas (to my credit). When I did return yesterday, I wasn't so hot.

I can't amalgamate all my results from different DBs, but my PTR for the year is pretty accurate. What is interesting is that a year ago in this blog a made a proper emo post about how shit I am and I'm clueless about poker now etc etc. I posted my 2010 results as proof.

Now my 2011 results are almost identical to the 2010! The difference being that this year I'm a lot more positive/ deluded, confident/ presumptuous, happy with how I did/ satisfied with failure.

So yeh it was around $45k in cash + bonuses or something. I won at 0.7BB over 140k hands of 400nl. Won at 1.9BB over 450k hands of 200nl or something.

Thoughts about the year .......... well I was always tilted by having no bankroll. I've had to support me, Nic, 2 dogs, and occasionally the business whenever we want it to expand or whatever. For someone who hasn't bought a new T shirt in 6 months, who's idea is going out is to watch Monday night football at the local around the corner once a week, who never eats out and who doesn't bother to tax or insure his car, I don't half go through a lot of money.

As I've said before I'm doing more leggo vids though so hopefully I can live off that. Hate putting out videos when I'm losing or when I think they're just too substandard though so that always affects how many I do.

What else, well for lots of the year I was playing 12+ tables. That obviously has been a ruinous disaster and won't be repeated. I'm on 6 at the moment, and I think that has to be close to optimal. I feel very in control at 200nl playing 6 and I just need to plough and plough and plough until I make $10k more and I have $20k to play 400nl again.

'oh I didnt play my A game'. Obviously makes an appearance in everyone's blog. As if playing your A game 100% of the time is something you can just do. Someone should tell Fernando Torres to start playing his A game, duh. Just do it. It's also rather silly, because the players VS whom you won money this year were also most likely not always playing their A game. So it's not like you can say, I'm a 2BB winner but actually I know I'm 5BB better than people 'cos I don't play my A game enough.

We can strive to get healthier though. Already done/ doing that through vegan diet and a ton of football. The most important thing though is having the ability to stop when not playing your A game. Sometimes it's annoying, you're stuck a little bit, there's fish everywhere, you have fuck all else to do. But you're concentration isn't quite there, your mind is wandering, and you just found yourself 4bet calling off TT in a marginal spot. At times like this only the sickest professionals amongst us have the ability to click the sit out button. Probably one of the hardest things to do, but if money saved= money earned, then surely once you reach a certain level one of the most profitable things you can do as well. I'm sure we can all remember $20k worth of money we would've saved this year.

Tournys are also a leak. I need to stop leaking. One month this year if all goes well I'll have a month of playing em and I'll overcome all the variance and run hot in one and realise my equity. Until then, I need to stop randomly regging $1ks worth and then be sat 1 tabling the $10 rebuy at 10.30pm.

So goals. There's no point making short term goals in poker, at least monetary ones. Making a goal over 300k hands is fine, but over a day week or month, not so fine. My goal this year is to do much better. I'll have smaller goals based only on things I can control along the way.

No comments: