Tuesday 21 May 2013

Quick Scoop and Cash Technical Blog

Trying to introduce a little more aggression into my 200nl game isn't going too well, I feel. It's also had the effect that I feared, of meaning that other leaks creep in. It's like as soon as I start moving away from playing super solid, all of a sudden I can't make folds either, and so on and so on. Failure to trust my instincts with regard to folds has been a creeping problem, and I need to basically go with my instincts and analysis first, and then look at whether the hand falls into a GTO call or not.

Playing the $100 scoop and $11 scoop tonight, I haven't really written about tournaments much as I sorta assume they just take care of themselves, but there's definitely areas I need to improve. Again, folds. Chips lost in tournaments are worth more than money won, and that's without even considering chip utility etc. I feel like most of my bustouts or big pots have been somewhat avoidable given how bad people are. There's always going to be obvious spots to accumulate chips, but dodging the bustouts is the real skill for a cash player transitioning. In cash it's like, who cares if I call down this CR and barrel off with tptk for 30bbs, reload time. In a tournament, we can't just dip into our pocket and pull out some more, they're gone. I realise this is very Captain Obvious, but it needs writing to get my mind clear.

So yeah I think my tourny mental game could probably have been improved. Potential bustouts dodged need to feel like fistpumps the same way I've learned to do in cash. Structures are pretty good so I'm just going to look to get in plenty of cheap pots, rack up chips, and view it as a success if I don't bust or lose a load of chips in spots that may seem cash ABC but in a tourny are more likely folds.

No comments: