Wednesday 8 May 2013

Update, Hands + Mental Stuff

I've had a good mental start to 200nl in May. I'm still waiting for a proper downswing to really test me, but hopefully these won't be as frequent now that I'm more skilled at nipping mental leaks in the bud.

A line from Sauce's vid really stuck with me, he said something to the effect of 'I think a large part of my edge at these 500nl games will be in my execution, ie I know what my strategy is and therefore all I have to do is execute it without any second guessing'. Second guessing everything has been a huge problem for me in the past I think; I'd spot patterns where there are none (fooled by randomness), then I'd 'expect' marginal calls and bluffs to work 100% of the time, so that when they didn't my strategy swung completely the other way 'NO MORE BLUFFS, NO MORE MARGINAL CALLS EVER'. Just so so mentally weak basically, whereas now I feel like I make these marginal calls and bluffs and whatever else and fully realise they won't work the whole time, and don't need to, and I just get on with implementing my strategy.

Example of spotting silly patterns- having 3/3 4bets jammed on early in a session 'um ok 4bets don't work at 200nl I'll STOP doing it'. So ridiculously lol now I think about it.

In terms of technical stuff, not a whole lot to say really just 'cos I don't feel like I'm having a ton of problems. Touch wood. I seem to have found a decent image where people spaz to me decently often, especially taking lines like leading flop, or cc flop lead turn etc. Could all be variance though, I'll know in a greater sample.

Going back to execution, one thing I have improved on is in simply taking a snap read of the situation on the flop, and then going with my reads without any second guessing. For example:

http://weaktight.com/5781620 - By the river there's literally only 77 plays like this for value, maybe 3 combos of KTs are an outside possibility. In the past, had I lost this hand though I woulda retreated into my shell 'no more stupid mistakes' whereas now I've shed the expectations that such big calls should have a 100% expectation I'm able to not let it affect me the next time one comes up.

http://weaktight.com/5781617 - When you're really focussed and playing well, you just can't beat that feeling that comes over you when you know someone's bluffing. This is definitely a 'zone' call, a state of mind that Mental Game of Poker 2 is all about delivering with more regularity.

http://weaktight.com/5780190 - People are so lol.

Right, Stars is back up. Need to get them hands in. Have a nice day.

No comments: