Thursday 16 December 2010

Sigh 200nl Forever

Time then for a prolonged 200nl stretch. I just played an extremely concentrated 55 minute session of 400nl. I lost 6 BIs (but how many did you win?, none).

Here's the 6 I lost.

http://weaktight.com/3022520 - pretty polarised, nice to flat
http://weaktight.com/3022526 - controversial-ish, but pretty standard actually
http://weaktight.com/3022528 - probably the most controversial, but this guy is a folder and nitty and folds KQ to me on the river while raising everything really decent beforehand. While I *could* wait for a GS, in this spot gameflow dictated it was a decent spot and went for it. He overcalled AK pf so fair play to him.
http://weaktight.com/3022530 - I by no means feel entitled to win this, it's reciprocally neutral EV......... I. just. lose. them. all.
http://weaktight.com/3022532 - UTG + 1, a flat may be optimal. Certainly not -EV to 4bet but anyway reciprocally neutral at worse.......

A few facts........ I ran $12k below EV last month on FTP. This month I've already ran $6.5k below. This isn't a whine...... poker is what it is and owes you nothing, but this 2 month stretch; while not the worst ever financially, is easily the worst in terms of poker kicking me in the teeth time and time again both in the EV stakes and without doubt situationally.

Let's work on the things I can control though........ I've made a lot of strategy mistakes, and a lot of mistakes both in preparation and implementation. I heard it said of Sheets the tourney player the other day "he's a really good teacher, good at analysing spots, but seems to fail at actually implementing the stuff in gametime".

I immediately felt like he could be talking about me......... clicking buttons, without those choice of buttons being fully informed by strategy, and strategy only, is a form of poker tourettes that those who don't suffer it take for granted.

I think I'm on the right track now in terms of my approach. We'll see what happens...........................

dan

3 comments:

DODGYKEN said...

The J3 - I still try and randomise my 4-bets by what hands I have. Basically figure out what I'd flat in that spot and then 4-bet the best hands I won't flat, and adjust the wideness of 4-bet bluffs to how often they 3-bet and how often I think they'll fold to 4-bets. What this means is I pretty much never 4-bet bluff J3s. I get that it can be a good spot gameflow-wise and all that, but I think doing it that way has a lot to be said for it.

The 88 I'm kind of torn between checking flop and betting. I think once called it's probably best to check the turn - you can bluff catch some rivers if you want as gutters and flush draws get check called on the flop. It's like the 33 hand in the other blog - you really don't want to be barrelling in spots where you have two outs in general.

Ian Little said...

In the JJ hand what is your reasoning for betting so small on a very wet board?

grog said...

I don't think it's too small, or particularly wet (no oesd). With a set I'm less worried about a flush draw as he needs to not only make it but the board not to pair...........