Saturday 1 March 2014

Strategy Update

I feel much happier in my hand to hand mindset at the moment. Originally when I looked to be more creative this was putting a strain on my mental bandwidth as I was probably over considering everything starting from preflop when I'm deciding whether to cold call/ 3bet etc. Instead now I'm just sorta autopiloting that stage until I face a 3bet or am considering a 3bet. Similarly postflop, some late position turn spots are just auto stabs OOP and don't need a ton of creative thinking.

I'm barely cbetting at all OOP, but occasionally I see a wide enough range and a villain who won't fight back enough that I just cbet and look to barrel off. Cold call and fold to cbet stats are so important and compliment each other massively. Not cbetting OOP has been a massive help in killing off those hundreds of 'one and done' size pots that add up and bleed your winrate. Not only that, but we end up making more credible bluffs with a higher success rate than if simply barrelled off.

One adjustment I made last session is to cbet more IP though. I was checking back almost as a default, and I think that's OK still in a lot of spots, but some spots on a wet board where we have overs and a weakish reg we have to just start betting, and we can have complete faith in his 100% commitment to check raising anything strong and leaving his CC range pretty terrible by the turn and river.

Another thing I need to incorporate more is to raise in 3bet pots........ so often the vacuum play is to call, but doing that makes it difficult to (cheaply) win all those wide range/ boards that hit no-one type pots where our opponent has the initiative and an uncapped range. I have been raising much more in single raised pots for value/ protection and to cap ranges and I love the control over the hand it gives.

Mentally, I am completely hopeless between the hours of like 1pm and 7pm for some reason. My brain has this fog that just stops me from thinking........ rather than fight through it, the plan for this month is just to accept it and just not play during those hours. It's possibly due to lack of water, or lack of fitness since my ankles been sprained/ broke for almost 6 months now, but whatever it is I can't play when it's there so I just need to accept that.

No comments: