Friday 30 May 2014

Session Cooldown

Just wanted to get some thoughts down:

My entire approch of late has been centered on the player I'm up against. I'm sorta ashamed to say it, but despite 10k hands with some players my reads on them are limited to their stats. What I've been doing instead is really paying attention to every showdown to get a handle on how they think about poker, and play their ranges.

One thing that's really followed from that is that I'm constantly thinking of how that information can be exploited. This goes way beyond 'he bluffed, so can bluff' but instead means inferring all sorts of information based on limited starting info.

So these are all fleeting thoughts, but if I don't get them down they'll clog up my mind and eventually be forgotten. My goal is for these adjustments to be learned to the level of UC, and eventually form part of my intangiable competence.

So for example, some guy 3bet sb-btn VS me today and check folded 773ss. Another guy check folded A74r. Firstly I could categories each as relatively 'meek' players, commonly found at 1-2. This is fairly useful in a lot of spots, but it gets more interesting when you consider how that affects their other ranges.

If they're check folding 'good' boards to cbet, then that means they're never cbetting without any equity. If they cbet with equity, we can infer that they're going to be barreling the turn a high degree of the time. This would make any marginal flop calls IP very unprofitable, and so we should then just fold on the flop.

It also means we're going to realise much more of our equity, so can defend wider to begin with.

Also just other stuff, like...... barreling weakish top pairs in spots, meaning people's checking ranges are far weaker etc. There's almost an infinite number of examples, but I'm just going to keep thinking about it ingame and hopefully it'll eventually feed it's way into some intangible competence and I'll be a better player for it.

No comments: