Saturday 31 May 2014

Weird Experience

I prepared myself decently for the last session. Looked at hands, read forums, prepared a blog. Within 20 minutes though I was getting crushed and playing awfully, with no apparent clue.

So I stopped, thought about what the fuck was missing. I was really looking at the player, getting to 'feel' players, thinking about how cbet ranges affect other ranges, etc, and really trying to tune into my instinct. Trouble is, it just wasn't there.

It was then I realised that I just hadn't been putting anyone at all on a range. Not a preflop range, flop turn or river! Absolutely mental. I think I'm ok at poker, but even this most basic of skills is not yet learned to the level of unconscious competence.

So I'm starting to realise the importance of a Zone profile Jared talks about in MGOP2. I'm going to buy a physical pad and start all these journals he talks about, but a brief start here. When in the zone I:
  • Assign ranges every step of the way. This means whittling down the preflop range with every piece of information I have.
  • Automatically pay attention to each player, and take notes of their hands at showdown.
  • Listen intently to my instinct.
  • Fold rivers, lol.
Anyway I came back and crushed, albeit I inflicted some big coolers along the way.

No comments: