Tuesday 20 May 2014

Strategyyyyyyyyyyy Blooooooooggggggggggggggg

I'm sorta lurching from bad to worse at the moment in cash. My focus on tournys of late has definitely meant I've been going through the cash game motions, and so I want to get back to the point of finding every spot really interesting. I also find myself unsure in a lot of spots, which when I'm playing well just doesn't really happen.

I feel as though 1-2 Zoom is definitely in a state of flux at the moment. Maybe there's some videos I haven't been watching, but it definitely feels as though there's a lot of spots where regs were previously incredibly predictable, and are now not so predictable. As this has happened, I feel as though I myself have recently gotten more predictable, with less original thought and less thinking around counter adjustments that I can make. So, I'm going to start writing again until I'm comfortably back into a rhythm of killing it again.

A few random thoughts from looking at my 1-2 results for the year....

4bet bluffing has been insanely profitable for me (actually in profit, not just less than losing 2.5bbs), but my 4bet stat being only 11% definitely explains why a decent amount. Regardless, I'm going to look to double that to like 20% which is going to take a while for people to cotton on to.

My cold call on CO and BTN is decently high, but because I 3bet so much my ranges are generally weak. Looking at floating as opposed to raising flops, then in my DB floating a high card hand slightly loses me money, while raising flops makes me a decent amount of money. Intuitively, I feel a strategy incorporating lots of flop raises is infinitely preferable to a more passive one, but to that end I need to be raising some top pair types of hands, as well as slowplay preflop more often.

This goes for being OOP as well. Check raising VS wide ranges is a quality strategy, but one I need to balance with top pairs, both when flatting from the blinds and check raising as the PFR. This doesn't mean auto go broke every time I CR a top pair, but it definitely gives us control of the hand and we can then look to soulread turns and rivers based on the PSR vs their betsize, etc.

I am INSANELY profitable flatting 3bets. I'm just like, $6k up on the year doing it. I must be running hot, but doubtless there's room to flat a few more 3bets than I'm already doing. Or maybe I shouldn't tinker? Raising flops in 3bet pots is even more profitable, and again something I need to be looking at.

Theme so far is, RAISING IS GOOD.

  • Squeeze bluffing is good.
  • Flatting 4bets is good.
  • 3bet bluffing is very good.
Everything is good! But there's room for more. More raising flops, more flatting 3bets, and generally worry about ways of picking up as many pots as possible and leave the big value situations to themselves.

One last leak that's crept in of late has been a reluctance of mine to let small pots go in a spot where my range is infinitely inferior to my opponents' range. Yes, apply tons of pressure, even more so than I have been doing, but when it's time to fold when a pot has not yet gotten out of hand, then do so.

(On that note, I think I have yet to see a 3bet on the flop actually ever be a bluff, probably 0/50 times I've bluff floated them I lose, which is just more argument for plenty more raising.)

Session review and hands to follow.....

No comments: