Tuesday 10 August 2010

Session 7

Hands: 436
Net: $432

Funny sort of session this, most notable for the utter fall from grace of carrotsnake. For ages people like Chris bigged him up so much that he just had this sort of aura and I always stayed out of his way. From a guy who was once easily the biggest winner on AP, he now completely and utterly sucks to the point of embarrassment.

One aspect of today that I was playing very close attention to was my PF raise sizes. Every table was full of nitty regs, and I was literally minraising the CO and winning the blinds a ton of the time. It used to be hard for me to respect 1 and a half blinds at 200nl, but seriously the edge I had through laying just $4 to win $3 and the number of folds I was getting meant I was just printing money. I realised that although the big pots are important, just how true was the saying 'look after the pennys and the pounds will look after themselves'.

On my 4max table, I had a big fish to my direct left. He was calling everything, and I adjusted by making my BTN raises 5x:

http://weaktight.com/2537596 - here's the said fish. I couldn't find a fold, though by the end I had really decent reads on his betsizing and timing and I could find a future fold in a spot like this.

http://weaktight.com/2537604 - overbet turn spot. Iketoys is another one of those formerly good AP regs overrated by Chris and thus by me for the past few years. Having said that, with the amount of draws on the turn it was a really decent spot to balance my overbets with nutted draws that I've started throwing in one the turn. God knows what he peeled the turn with and folded the river on this card. Draw?- terrible. Made hand- terrible.

I butchered a hand VS carrotsnake PF actually. He was playing so unbelievably terrible I actually thought he may have been hacked. See this hand for example http://weaktight.com/2537610

So given he's 3bet calling junk like that OOP 100bbs deep (plus doing tons of other crap) I should've just 4bet got this in pre. Sad. http://weaktight.com/2537614

Lastly and favourite hand just because a little non standard but so effective:




$1/$2 No Limit Holdem • 6 Players • AbsolutePoker

Generated by weaktight.com.

UTGMYCOMEBACK$244.25
UTG+1FLAMEZ13$205.35
COHero$208
BTNILUCKYHATEME$354.30
SBSYNODIC$524.85
BBBIGPUTT1945$238
  • Pre-Flop ($3, 6 players)Hero is CO
  • dK cQ
2 folds, Hero raises to $6, 2 folds, BIGPUTT1945 raises to $20, Hero calls $14
  • Flop ($41, 2 players)
  • s6 c2 d8
BIGPUTT1945 bets $24, Hero raises to $48, BIGPUTT1945 folds
  • Final Pot: $113
  • Hero wins $110 (net +$42)
  • BIGPUTT1945 lost $44



I just clicked it back on the flop, laying $48 to win $65 with just nothing he can realistically do with 2/3 of his range. It's something I'm going to work into my game a little more, balanced with value hands obviously (though the exact ratio I'm unsure of).

dan

4 comments:

Chris said...

Get off your high horse.

Martin said...

With the KQ hand, u said he cant defend 2/3 his range, did u get the maths like this: 1- [48/(48+65)]= 0.58

To work out the ratio of bluffs and value, i THINK thats how we do it.
Say he always shove or fold vs our raise (not always true but make it simpler for now) he is risking 164 to win 113, 1 - (164/277) = 41%
So we need to call 41% of the time to stop him 3beting flop with ATC, so our optimal ratio should b 59% bluff and 41% value, so 1.5:1 air to nuts. Obv we prob want to do it with more air to exploit him, but i think this s so called the optimal ratio.

oh BTW, if he decides to just call our minraise, i think he needs to defend little more than 58% of his range to stop us freerolling.

Sorry if all these shit r wrong, just fancy having a crack.

Seems like your r playing well again, good 2 know

grog said...

Martin, it sounds like you know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do! Yeah that sounds plausible, and I guess because I'm going to be find it hard to have the nuts 41% of the time I basically have to stop minraising so often.

2/3 was rough working out based on combos. The wider his PF range the better obviously as less high paired hands. I talk about it more in my latest blog.

Martin said...

IF my maths is right, the 1.5:1 air nut s just the unexploitable ratio. imo, as long as we show up here with an overpair once in a while, and villain knows we raise overpair here for value, we can have a minraise as a bluff a lot more than 59% of the time.