Monday 9 August 2010

Session Thoughts

Hands: 447
Won: $572

Really enjoyed this session, and not just because I won 2/3 flips. I decided to scrap all my old notes and stats on players and start again from scratch, forcing myself to pay constant attention to my opponent's play on all streets and develop new reads and notes. What I found enjoyable was then using those notes to come up with counter strategies.

I played 3 tables of 6 max and 1 table of HU VS this leggo member guy GeorgeStag.

Ok because I was concentrating I was actually able to think this hand through PF.

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem • 2 Players • AbsolutePoker

Generated by weaktight.com.

SBGEORGESTAGG$385.85
BBHero$480.45
  • Pre-Flop ($3, 2 players)Hero is BB
  • dA hA
GEORGESTAGG raises to $6, Hero raises to $24, GEORGESTAGG raises to $68, Hero calls $44
  • Flop ($136, 2 players)
  • d7 s8 c3
Hero checks, GEORGESTAGG bets $64, Hero raises to $152, GEORGESTAGG calls $88
  • Turn ($440, 2 players)
  • sJ
Hero bets $260.45, GEORGESTAGG folds
  • Final Pot: $700.45
  • Hero wins $699.70 (net +$219.25)
  • GEORGESTAGG lost $220


I had been 3betting a fair amount with plenty of folds. So, the first adjustment was to continue to 3bet until something changed. The first time he eventually 3bet, I 4bet K8s and he folded. 3 hands later, this happened and I felt like Monkey See Monkey do was in action, completely positive that with the way gameflow etc had gone down that this was a bluff. This deep (he's polarised, and with my 2 ace blockers), and with the reads listed above, I think I'd go as far to say that 5betting AA would be absolutely horrible. That's not to say I wouldn't have snap done it this morning though and been terribly shocked at his snap fold. Postflop is somewhat standard, but I make the CR really really small to allow the possibility of a cheap bluff. I didn't know that he knew I was Mr Leggo Grog at this point, but it obviously helped get a flop peel before he folded turn.

Soon afterwards I play this hand:

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem • 2 Players • AbsolutePoker

Generated by weaktight.com.

SBGEORGESTAGG$201
BBHero$698.70
  • Pre-Flop ($3, 2 players)Hero is BB
  • dK cQ
GEORGESTAGG raises to $6, Hero calls $4
  • Flop ($12, 2 players)
  • s4 cJ c3
Hero checks, GEORGESTAGG bets $10, Hero raises to $31, GEORGESTAGG calls $21
  • Turn ($74, 2 players)
  • s9
Hero bets $39, GEORGESTAGG calls $39
  • River ($152, 2 players)
  • d6
Hero checks, GEORGESTAGG checks
  • Final Pot: $152
  • GEORGESTAGG shows
  • hJh2
  • Hero shows
  • dKcQ
  • GEORGESTAGG wins $151.25 (net +$75.25)
  • Hero lost $76


I didn't 3bet as I wasn't in the mood for calling a 4bet (unneccessary given the way the previous hand had gone down, time to sit back and let him make mistakes), but mainly because I wanted to start a CRing dynamic, and this is the perfect hand for it. On the turn, I wasn't loving to continue, but my basic rule of thumb is to bet again in these spots when I pick up equity, and its fairly possible he folds some middling pocket pair. I think I have to give up the river, but it's possible I could hero call a 3 or a 4 for example.

So, adjustment/ balancing time.... I think he's going to start respecting my CRs less. My short term gameplan becomes flatting broadway hands and CRing them (chronological order).

http://weaktight.com/2534797- the flop in this hand is obviously thin, and I much prefer a further read that he'd bet call a worse 9 or lower pair on this board. As it was with the backdoor NFD as well, firstly I thought it'd be great to showdown a CR in this spot, and secondly I felt I could play pretty well even OOP on different turn cards. He's going to be flatting KJ etc, maybe even ace hi that I reverse dominate. As it was, on this particular turn card it smashes my perceived range and so when he bets I have to fold.

http://weaktight.com/2534795 - and another *maybe he's just not adjusting to my CRs at all, and cbetting too much.

Then I played this hand, he'd previously donk folded a 467ss flop.

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem • 2 Players • AbsolutePoker

Generated by weaktight.com.

SBHero$411.95
BBGEORGESTAGG$455.85
  • Pre-Flop ($3, 2 players)Hero is SB
  • d6 dQ
Hero raises to $6, GEORGESTAGG calls $4
  • Flop ($12, 2 players)
  • dJ d8 s5
GEORGESTAGG bets $10, Hero calls $10
  • Turn ($32, 2 players)
  • cA
GEORGESTAGG bets $23, Hero calls $23
  • River ($78, 2 players)
  • c9
GEORGESTAGG checks, Hero bets $63, GEORGESTAGG folds
  • Final Pot: $141
  • Hero wins $140.25 (net +$38.25)
  • GEORGESTAGG lost $39
I decide not to raise at any point as I have such decent relative showdown value VS T9, 76 etc. So, the river is obviously a bad card in terms of my showdown value, but it makes my life much easier when he checks and waves the flag of 'I has a 9 pls check'. $63 bluff elicited a 90% timebank fold, so maybe I could have got away with $61 and a 95% timebank fold. I can obviously be value betting a TON of stuff.


Other notes and planned adjustments

http://weaktight.com/2534818 - here he showed himself capable of value betting relatively thin (relative to most 200nl guys). What's the adjustment? Bluff catch less in spots like these, and bluff raise the times he's unlikely to have the top of his range. I mentally noted this adjustment at the time, but no hands came up where it was utilized.

Some 6max hands

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem • 6 Players • AbsolutePoker

Generated by weaktight.com.

UTGTHEFLOW$203
UTG+1SYNODIC$218.90
COHero$400
BTNCUBBIEBLUE10$414.80
SBGEORGESTAGG$377.35
BBRHINOFISH$248.40
  • Pre-Flop ($3, 6 players)Hero is CO
  • h8 h6
THEFLOW raises to $7, 1 fold, Hero raises to $21, 3 folds, THEFLOW calls $14
  • Flop ($45, 2 players)
  • c4 c6 s2
THEFLOW bets $24, Hero calls $24
  • Turn ($93, 2 players)
  • s8
THEFLOW checks, Hero bets $30, THEFLOW goes all-in $158, Hero calls $128
  • River ($409, 2 players, 1 all-in)
  • h9
  • Final Pot: $409
  • THEFLOW shows
  • c8c7
  • Hero shows
  • h8h6
  • Hero wins $406 (net +$203)
  • THEFLOW lost $203



So preflop.... haven't played this guy for a bit, scrapped all my notes, time to create a new dynamic. He calls, which is probably his only mistake the whole hand (edit, not true, I hate the turn shove), but TBH a pretty big one VS me.

On the flop, I'm completely torn about whether to bet or not. If I bet then I'm never folding and lose more money VS slowplayed stuff, while checking allows me to rep AK and have him barrel me off it. In the end, I decide to make an assumption and stick with it, with that assuption being that JJ+ is getting 4bet, and he may not CR 99 and TT, so bet stacking off it was.

As it was, he led into me. Turn is the nuts, and I need a betsize. Assumption time again, firstly I don't think he puts me on the nuts. Secondly, I think that he'd expect me to bet bigger with the 'nuts' (with the nuts in his eyes being JJ+) on this drawy a board. So, $30 means I rep extremely little and in his eyes probably makes it most likely that I'm just completely FOS. I don't like his turn ship, I'm giving him great odds and he has showdown value, and I'm simply never bet calling worse. Plus, the PSR is so big that getting it wrong here is a pretty big mistake.

All in all, 8/10 for the session.

Dan (btw I think I might post this on leggo, seems a waste otherwise and I'm overdue a blog).

No comments: