Sunday 10 October 2010

The Conlon Manoeuvre

What is The Conlon Manoeuvre? If you haven't already guessed, it's withdrawing most of your roll....... this is done sometimes by virtue of tilt, often with a promise of 'quitting' poker, but the manoeuvre itself is simply the act of putting out of action that money which you no longer trust yourself not to gamble away recklessly.

Today I withdrew my roll down to $10k. I'm only stuck $3k for the month, but I could easily be much much more. I'm down because I lost the will to win for some reason at the start of the month. Don't ask me why, it just disappeared. It seems to have come back today, but in case it actually hasn't then I don't trust myself to start 12 tabling 5-10 with a bad mood and a light head.

Having a $10k roll somehow keeps up the pressure that I doubtless need. Yes, it sets me back on some of my poker goals, namely moving to 5-10 full time ASAP, but before I do that anyway I would like a much larger sample of consistently winning the money than the past 85k hands at $20k in winnings.

Some big technical leaks have crept in as of late. I'm back to opening 22% UTG, I'm creating big pots with marginal hands, I'm out-levelling myself with river bluffs, I'm autopiloting on 12 tables (a real killer), etc. The month is young, 21 days left and a 20k hand run of 200nl will leave me with enough time to make 5 figures again in October.

http://bigbobspoker.blogspot.com/ is my current apprentice (/ father in law to be). He's learning cash from the 0.05-0.10 limit, so if anyone can spare the odd comment I'm sure it would make his day.

Is all, dan

1 comment:

Chris said...

Also talks about other careers often in the form of baguette shops and/or go on long term holiday.