Monday 11 October 2010

Year Zero (AKA here we go again)

What can I say. I have FORGOTTEN how to play poker. I'm not even lying. It's not just that I'm losing, or running bad and lacking confidence, it's that I'm staring at my screen while I play and my mind is UTTERLY blank.

There's just, nothing there. The example I gave earlier is that it's like watching a chess match between 2 grand masters. Yes I'm aware of the pieces (cards), yes I have some vague semblance of the goal of winning; but the important stuff of actually being able to look at a situation and see all its intricies and complexities has completely left me.

It means, for example, that I'll 3bet 97s in the blinds and get flatted. Flop Q64hh.

Hmm.....

Bet?

I guess.

Ok

Called, turn is J h.

Bet?

Shrug

Give up?

FUCK KNOWS !

This thought process is re-occurring every hand. I don't know where the knowledge has gone, it's simply left me. Maybe stolen, in which case at least it's being put to good use. I see Dushelov's finally starting to win some money, so he's the #1 suspect right now.

I started watching Dodgy's video that he sent me again. I tried to message him my thoughts, but the facebook client wouldn't allow a blank message.

But anyway wherever it's gone, I need to start on the slow process of getting it back. I lost $1k today, and tilt withdrew another $3.5k (by the way, I highly recommend withdrawing money to deal with the stress of a losing day). My roll now sits pretty at $6.5k.

So obviously 200nl until I make 20 or so BIs, or until I'm so confident that I step up to 400nl on this roll. Not seeming likely at this moment in time, but anyway maybe.

So first things first, the way to get it back is to set myself session goals. Then play a session, then review said session against said goals. The way I've always done in other words.

So my goals for this upcoming session are:

  • Make big early folds.
  • Be positionally aware.

Simple things, which aren't going to help by themselves. However the route back to profit is to nail a couple of goals at a time.

So, session review coming up....... I don't necessarily expect to win but it does at least put me back on a path.

dan

1 comment:

DODGYKEN said...

I think I went through something similar to this earlier in the year, and unfortunately I can't even tell you how to get out of it. You've just got to keep trying to force yourself to go through the correct thought process in each hand.

Feel free to ship some hands my way - I'm usually up for discussing stuff. I'm happy to help out however.