Sunday 17 October 2010

Wobble

Quite a big wobble actually. I played a session Wednesday where the main lesson was that I can't play 12 tables when half of them are turbo and when I'm slightly stuck. I feel much better at 9 and I'll stick to that the remainder of this 30k hand spell.

Then yesterday I awoke after about 2 hours sleep all night, and played completely shattered and was fortunate to escape. I say lucky because $700 that I lost was completely horrendous and only this spazzery on his part saved me from another $1k or so loss.

I've noticed that when I'm needing to correct my game, I don't really focus on specific hands as others do, rather I worry about generalities. As such, I don't like the way my red line has flat-lined now over a decent sample, and over an even bigger sample if I don't include a decent sized jump on around 10k hands. The red line slowly moving up, even over a small sample (much less sample is needed than usual winrate) is a pretty key indicator of how well I'm playing.

Now, obviously it's very chicken and egg, and I don't think it's usually a good idea to chase the egg (red line up) by focussing on the chicken (well played hands), but it's obvious to me that I'm letting certain standards slip. I doubt it's my focus on keeping pots small, but rather I could be purposely inflating certain pots with the sole intention of winning them. Flatting KJhh from the blinds, CRing Q96 (one heart) firing turn and shoving river comes to mind, because at present I'm either folding PF to a single raise or 3betting.

I'll play a session now anyway with focus on the following goals: Make big early folds.

Be positionally aware.
Board textures
Bet sizes
application application application

Then I can judge further from a properly played 9 tabling non tilty session.

dan

No comments: