Thursday 25 March 2010

Session 4

Results from last blog. For the AJ, then from PF literally the only hand I was afraid of that didn't raise that deep and would flat was 77. And it was thus. Ce sera sera.

Tokuan hand, I bet river fairly small. Probably bad and I should CF, he had trip 9s and called.

I just played a good winning session, no PF spew (although maybe I wouldn't have said if the TT I 4bet UTG+1 vs DoublePlant's OTB 3bet hadn't ran into just AJ).

I want to talk about draws OOP today. Basically, I've come to the conclusion that a ton of draws OOP suck a total fat one. Even like NFD+overs, often stacks mean that you can raise flop, then be stuck on a blank turn with a 1.5 PSR or whatever. I think there's a ton of money lost through people getting stuck on these draws/ not being able to let go of them/ going for 'right of last initiative' with ZERO FE (literally, how often does it work out that your lead/3bet actually elicits a raise fold from your opponent.) On that last point, I think it's a relic in Rob's book from back when people were bad enough to raise fold top pair to see where they're at or whatever. I think the way to play them needs re-evaluating.

As such, take this hand:

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem • 6 Players

Generated by weaktight.com.

UTGJAZZWREX$822.60
UTG+1RE_MOGUL$861
COZOANTH$394
BTNMISTERMICKE$196.95
SBCATWOTISADOG$1,414.90
BBIM THE PUSHER$418.30
  • Pre-Flop ($6, 6 players)Hero is SB
  • cJ sK
2 folds, ZOANTH raises to $8, 1 fold, CATWOTISADOG calls $6, IM THE PUSHER calls $4
  • Flop ($24, 3 players)
  • cQ sT hQ
CATWOTISADOG checks, IM THE PUSHER checks, ZOANTH bets $16, CATWOTISADOG raises to $56, IM THE PUSHER folds, ZOANTH calls $40
  • Turn ($136, 2 players)
  • h9
CATWOTISADOG bets $100, ZOANTH calls $100
  • River ($336, 2 players)
  • d8
CATWOTISADOG bets $1,250.90, ZOANTH folds
  • Final Pot: $1,586.90
  • CATWOTISADOG wins $1,583.90 (net +$169)
  • IM THE PUSHER lost $8
  • ZOANTH lost $164


Now, I have an OESD, but a paired board, OOP. Usually, my thinking has been that it would suck to raise this and have him jam and me have to fold. My thinking has changed. Rather than flat OOP then have to probably make a fishy bluff OOP to win the hand, I'm now happy to raise fold draws like this. Similarly with weak flush draws OOP, I might be content to call one street, or more likely raise fold (very like better draws shove in this spot anyway which is no bad thing). Obviously we still get to spike sometimes when called on the flop, but the evils of calling twice OOP, or lead/3bet jamming are what I'm trying to avoid from now on.

dan

1 comment:

Martin said...

I dont think calling weak FD OOP is v profitable. I guess b/3bet is not bad if villain bluff raises donk bets too much.

I think raising is the way to go, I think its better to raise smaller tho. I think a smaller raise will take the pot down just as often, and it gives him worse PSR to shove.

Ye PSR on turn is so awkward, i really dont know wots the best play. I know we sure apply aggression when we have good equity, but i just dont think we have any FE vs decent playas, and he prob wont pay us off if we hit on river. may be raising flop is not such a good idea afterall.