Friday 24 February 2012

What Now?

Still no luck with regards results, both in the fact I'm still thinking about them, and that the reason I'm thinking about them is that they're so bad!

I don't think I'm playing 'bad', certainly not $11k bad for the month. But I'm starting to worry about my lack of reciprocal edge VS the regulars. Yes they do weird and for me somewhat bad things, but their badness serves to confuse me more than anything.

http://weaktight.com/4409541 - take this hand, I mean it's not great. Depends on things like does he vbet turn depolarised etc, but we're probably not folding AA in a 100bb 3bet pot too often. There's no edge to the hand though, certainly no reciprocal edge. I'd play t8s the same way in his shoes, and he'd certainly find some way to stack with AA postflop.

This is a long way of saying that I need to know and act more on my opponent's tendencies. Maybe VS some there is a way to fold AA in this hand. I'm playing well I think in a very generic GTO sorta sense, but I've lost sense of my individual opponents. Not just their vacuumous plays, but like the way they think about poker and how they think about me, from which I can extrapolate things like 'time to make an extremely non standard call/ fold' based on XYZ.

I was doing this for a few successful few months in September. Yes it probably coincided with a heater, but I can't just do on the way I am without making at least subtle changes and expect things to be different. 4 tables from now on, with a heavy focus on getting reads and thinking about ways to extrapolate and exploit people based on this stuff. #gameplan

1 comment:

DODGYKEN said...

In the AA hand I think it's better to bet the turn. When we check he'll check back a ton of hands that we get value on the turn from, and we don't want to give free cards to let him improve/bluff us out on the river.

At first I wanted to bet/fold (because that's always my instinct), but it has to be a bet call given he could shove worse for value.